Patients diagnosed with cancer may be at risk of developing complications during their treatment from infections arising from the mouth. Dr. Shazib works closely with patients and their oncologists in evaluating and managing the oral health needs of patients before, during and after cancer therapies. Services provided by Dr. Shazib for cancer patients include:
- Dental evaluation and clearance prior cancer therapies such as head and neck radiation, anti-resorptive therapy (Zometa and Xgeva), and stem cell transplant and bone marrow transplant.
- Diagnosis and management of oral complications arising during cancer therapy such as mucositis (mouth sores), infections, taste changes and dry mouth.
- Management of oral complications following cancer therapy
- Dry mouth
- Taste changes
- Graft-versus-host disease
- Limited mouth opening (trismus)
- Oro-facial pain
- Jaw osteonecrosis or osteoradionecrosis
- Post-treatment surveillance
- Management of oral pre-cancers
Dr. Shazib works closely with a network of dentists, prosthodontists, endodontists, periodontists, oral and maxillofacial surgeons, ENT physicians, primary care physicians, oncologists, dermatologists, rheumatologists, gastroenterologists, sleep physicians, pain physicians physiotherapists, psychologists, social workers, speech and swallow therapy, and many more.
If you have noticed any abnormalities in your smile, visit us at New England Oral Medicine for an oral cancer screening in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Contact us today at 207-613-6272 for an appointment.